We are searching for a Site Reliability Engineer with source code control and CI/CD implementation experience to support our new Gitlab project.
We are a distributed and diverse team of engineers with a drive to explore, experiment and embrace new technologies. During the past few years we have been transitioning our platform from a monolith to a hybrid, microservices architecture, and started migrating our microservices onto Kubernetes. We’ve adopted Elastic Stack and Prometheus as our de facto logging and monitoring platforms and are improving our automation (we automation).
If you find what we do interesting and you enjoy the idea of working with a globally distributed team, you might be just the person we need. Come as you are!
- Implementation and maintenance of the infrastructure for Gitlab Community Edition hosted on premises.
- Assistance in the architectural design of this service and its operation at scale
- Use of configuration management and deployment tools
- Monitoring of systems and services, optimization of performance and resource utilization
- Design and implementation of Logging and Backup
- Incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts
- Assistance in software updates
- Share our values and work in accordance with them
- 3+ years experience in an SRE/Operations/DevOps role as part of a team
- Experience with highly available database systems, especially Postgres
- Experience with managing highly available infrastructure based on Kubernetes
- Comfortable with shell and scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience in writing and maintaining helm charts
- Experience with package management for operating systems (Debian, etc)
- Comfortable with Open Source configuration management and orchestration tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, etc., we use Puppet)
- Aptitude for automation and streamlining of tasks
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Located within the UTC+3 - UTC-8 time zones for easier alignment with existing team mix
- Experience with Gitlab CE hosted on premises
- Experience with other CI/CD systems (Jenkins, Zuul, etc.)
- Experience with advanced distributed storage (Swift, etc)
- Experience with the use, maintenance and configuration of monitoring, metrics and logging infrastructure (Prometheus, Grafana, ELK, Icinga/Nagios, Graphite, etc.)
- Track record of open source contributions is a major plus
- Experience administering Ruby on Rails applications
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack