We are a diverse, fully distributed team from around the world working toward a shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our team as a Senior Android Engineer and help shape the technology that powers the DuckDuckGo search experience.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and close major gaps in our products. Examples of projects you might work on include expanding and improving mobile content blocking, as well as running experiments to measure and improve user conversion and usability within our mobile applications. You will take direct responsibility of mobile application features, drive improvements, and own product maintenance.
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high-impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Step up to resolve product issues, large and small.
- Identify opportunities to increase searches and raise the standard of trust online.
- Own major application features and take responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Collaborate with peers remotely during product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions, and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, performant, and testable code that works consistently across devices. Work to improve the quality of the codebase on a regular basis.
What we are looking for:
- Significant Android engineering experience (5+ years), with experience working on at least two large native Android applications.
- Experience programming in Kotlin.
- Deep understanding of MV* concepts, mobile threading, and memory management and how they apply to mobile applications.
- A fundamental understanding of complex data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to leverage both quantitative and qualitative data and collaborate with a cross-functional team to develop effective UX solutions.
- Effective project management skills.
- Creative problem-solvers and risk-takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward but know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
Other reasons to love working at DuckDuckGo:
- Flexible vacation and sick leave practices
- Flexible work schedule
- Company-wide hack days
- Company and team meetups
- Open participation in company strategy
- Family leave policy
- Co-working reimbursement
- Hardware and office setup benefits
- Wellness and learning benefits
- Charitable donation matching
- US health benefits
- US 401k
- "Use good judgment" approach to company policies
DuckDuckGo does not leverage any recruiting agencies or services for this role. Instead, we work directly with each candidate throughout a unique hiring process that we've built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!
Please note that:
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.