DeansList is hiring its first-ever, dedicated mobile developer. Interested? Read on!
Who is DeansList?
- We’re a bootstrapped ed-tech company that creates software that helps schools run better.
- Our SaaS platform is used in hundreds of innovative K-12 schools across the country.
- We’re proud to partner with many traditionally underserved communities.
- We tailor our software to the unique needs of each school.
- We’re continually solving hard (aka interesting) problems.
- We have the footprint and culture of a startup with the stability and resilience of a large company.
- We’re used to working remotely; we’ve been doing it for almost five years.
- We love delighting our customers with software and service that go beyond expectations.
- We believe in work-life balance--an exhausted dev is not a creative dev.
Still reading? Here’s what to expect if you were to jump into this role:
- You will become the proud new owner of our two mobile apps: DeansList for Educators and DeansList for Families.
- Oh great, legacy code, right? Nope! We’re giving you the opportunity to rebuild them both from the ground up.
- What’s the catch? No catch! React and React Native have evolved a lot of the last four years, and we want to push the reset button so that we can build with the latest and greatest.
- We also want to leverage different screen sizes and orientations, which is something we don’t do well right now. Both the current apps are fixed in portrait mode.
- Once the mobile apps are rebuilt, we want to start adding lots of awesome new features to make the DeansList experience even better.
This job is for you if:
- You want to be part of helping deliver a top-notch education to hundreds of thousands of students.
- You’re an ambitious, hard-working person who enjoys tackling big problems.
- You’re as passionate about design as you are about writing code.
- You're motivated by the challenge of creating user experiences that are elegant, intuitive, and extremely well-coded.
- You thrive on constructive feedback from users and co-workers.
- You feel comfortable designing for large and small screens alike.
- You can work independently but know when to reach out for help.
- You love learning and want to be on the cutting edge.
Here’s the profile of who we think would thrive in this role. This isn’t an exact science, so if you don’t quite fit this feel free to try to convince us--we’re open to hearing your pitch.
- 4+ years of professional development experience with:
- UX/UI design
- REST and/or GraphQL API access (even those w/limited documentation)
- Asynchronous code
- 2+ years of professional development experience with:
- React and React Native
- React state management (Redux/MobX)
- Deploying and supporting iOS and Android apps
- You’ve created at least one incredible app--or played a major role in its development--and can show it off to us
- You have experience in education or ed-tech
- Bonus: you have an innate ability to read between the lines when it comes to specs/user requests
- Bonus: experience reading back-end code (mostly PHP)
- Bonus: experience with relational and key-value store databases
- Flexible time off with no cap
- 10+ paid holidays
- Stock options plan
- Fully vested 401k with up to 4% match,
- Minimum 4 weeks paid parental leave
- Work from home with a DeansList-provided MacBook Pro
- Flexible hours
- Paid trips to HQ in NYC