The VIP team is a diverse, hard working, and kind group of people from a wide variety of backgrounds who bring excellence in software engineering, communication and problem-solving skills to help our clients and partners do amazing things with WordPress. Our company is completely distributed, so we work from anywhere we can find a good broadband connection.
As some of the biggest brands on the web, our clients are often pushing the limits of WordPress. The Enterprise team within VIP plays a critical role in helping guide these large organizations, by deeply understanding their needs and helping with architectural decisions, supporting ongoing development, and more.
VIP Enterprise Engineers:
- Assist large organizations with architectural guidance, including the ongoing support of new features and functionality
- Understand the organization’s needs at a deep level, and be able to recommend best practices and workflows as well as tools and plugins
- Review client themes, plugins, and technical integrations
- Debug complex problems and anticipate potential future needs and challenges
- Support engineers throughout VIP to better support our most significant clients
- Visit clients in-person, delivering analysis and recommendations, training for in-house developers and working at more senior levels on strategic architectural decision making
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our passion for diversity and inclusion. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to
jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- Tell us some details about an interesting problem you’ve worked on involving multiple interacting systems. What made it interesting?
- Tell us about an experience you’ve had with code you’ve written or changed to ensure a WordPress plugin or theme you worked on is secure.
- Tell us about an experience you’ve had with WordPress where scaling was leading to performance issues. How did you approach the problem and guide it to resolution?
- What questions do you have for us?